Hello loves! It’s already the new year, but I had such a wonderful 2018 in reading so when I saw this post over on A Kernel Of Nonsense I knew that I had to do it! This survey is actually the 9th Annual Survey over at Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner’s blog so be sure to check out her original post!
2018 Reading Stats
- Number of books I read: 117! That’s 17 more than last year’s 100 and I’m so thrilled!
- Number of rereads: 13. I love rereading, including all seven Harry Potter books!
- Genre I read the most from: Young Adult? That’s not really a genre haha. It’s definitely either YA fantasy or contemporary, but I’m not actually sure which
and I’m too lazy to count.
Best In Books
1. Best book you read in 2018? Definitely Crooked Kingdom. That book was simply incredible!
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn’t? Anna and the French Kiss. I’d heard amazing things about it and I’m a sucker for sappy romance but it ended up being 1.5 stars and the second worst read of the year!
3. Most surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read? To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before! I thought I would like it, but I had no idea I would adore it and it would become my life!
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read (and they did)? The book series I can’t shut up about is without a doubt The Lunar Chronicles haha!
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018? Series: To All The Boys (again! I must!). Sequel: I’m certain everyone will agree that A Court of Mist and Fury is incredible! Ender: Crooked Kingdom (again! ahh!) absolutely ripped out my heart and left me a mess for days!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018? I’m so glad I discovered Morgan Matson and her wonderful contemporaries!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? This year was the very first year I read an entire book (play?) in Spanish, or in any language other than English, so El Burlador de Sevilla was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I enjoyed it!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? I read that entire 700+ page A Court of Wings and Ruin in just two days!
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Probably Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda because it’s just so cute and perfect and my second favorite read of the year but also light and fast and easy to read in one sitting! (which I did!)
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018? Six of Crows! The way the feathers and towers and crow and typography and everything is integrated is EVERYTHING
11. Most memorable character of 2018? Queen Levana from Fairest is terrible…very terrible…and very memorable!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018? They are all gorgeous!!! I guess Mansfield Park was pretty pretty–it is a classic, after all!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018? The Hate U Give, definitely. It doesn’t sugar coat, and it’s not very fluffy or cute, but it’s a book everyone should read.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? I have no idea how I went so long without reading Fangirl! I’m a huge fan!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018? To The Stars Who Listen…And The Dreams That Are Answered ❤ ❤
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018? Shortest: Oedipus Rex, 75 pages. Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 870 pages.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most? The plot twist of Restore Me was certainly unexpected!!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)? Kaz and Inej from Six of Crows just take my heart take it aoisdfjkl
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? Lena and her father in Love and Gelato is so touching!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously? The Coldest Girl in Coldtown definitely did not let me down with Holly Black being one of my favorites!!
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.? There was so much pressure to read Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda and it was WORTH IT
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018? Kaz Brekker I am YOURS
23. Best 2018 debut you read? I absolutely adored The Astonishing Color of After!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? I was trying not to use rereads but how could I leave out Harry Potter??
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? My Lady Jane! That book will make you Laugh Out Loud and it’s amazing!!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018? Words in Deep Blue is certainly a tearjerker, and an incredible one at that.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? I have no idea why more people haven’t heard of Wendy Darling: Shadow! It’s phenominal!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? I believe I’ve already mentioned the amount of emotional trauma Crooked Kingdom put me through?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018? I certainly haven’t read anything anywhere near the style of Illuminae!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Well in this case it does because I just hated On The Fence and was so angry at the message it was sending.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018? I didn’t discover Christine/Polandbananasbooks’s channel until this year somehow!
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018? To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before Casting || Being Biracial
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018:? I’m definitely not a bookstagrammer and don’t take, like, any, except literally just this one.
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)? Ahh I can think of nothing? Oh no!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018? I can’t think of just one specific instance; just blogging everyday is lovely!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? I started my blog this year so just figuring the whole blogging thing out!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? Top Ten Tuesday || Favorite Book Blogs ❤
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Oh idk any book reviews I guess lol.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? THE BOOK BLOGGING COMMUNITY! I started blogging this year and had no idea how amazing it is!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? I surpassed my Goodreads goal: 117/100!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019? I suppose Crime and Punishment because I’ve been procrastinating that but need to write an essay on it LOL
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)? The Wicked King! It’s almost out ahhhh!
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Again But Better! That book isn’t even out yet but it’s speaking to my soul!!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019? Renegades book 3! I am Marissa Meyer trash.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019? I hope to meet new bloggers! You guys are amazing ❤
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable): I WISH!
Okay so that was way longer than I thought and it’s already 12:34 AM and I’m tired and want to sleep good night so I’m too lazy to put in pictures oh well…anyways, this was fun and I highly recommend doing it yourself!! Let’s chat in the comments below on any of your 2018 favorites or whatever 🙂